Monday, March 4, 2013

Trapped! The lesson plan


I've had my first experience playing an "escape room" game, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.  I couldn't really understand the point of it or what it exactly entailed from reading the description, but I tried out the escape room called "Trapped" and really kind of enjoyed it.  I played it once, thinking about how I could "gamify" a language lesson, or in other words apply game-design thinking to a non-game applications to make it more fun and engaging.  After tinkering around with the game and taking a look at what sort of objects were found in the rooms and where they were found, I thought this game would be useful in providing students practice with listening and reading comprehension as well as prepositions.  

Within an upper-intermediate to advanced class, I would pair students up and give one student half of the clues given in the walk-through in written form.  This could also be done in larger among larger groups.  As the teacher facilitates, providing assistance where needed, students would only be allowed to read the clues to one another, while the other student listens and comprehends to complete the first half of the steps.  The next student would then read the next few steps aloud and the second student would listen and complete the steps as they focus on prepositions.  Objectives would include, or students will be able to listen for clues to identify where hidden objects are located and identify prepositions in "walkthrough" to locate each object.  An instructor could assess students formatively through informal observations as they listen to students identify the prepositions in each step, as well as summatively by observing whether students were able to communicate effectively enough to escape the room.  The lesson could be differentiated according to language level, with lower lever language learners being provided with images as well as text to provide scaffolding.  I would be very interested in seeing how students react to this type of practice through gaming.  

As a side note, I don't think I would use this particular "escape room" game in a classroom anytime soon since the last scene requires shooting snipers in the woods.  With the sensitivity among people, schools, and gun control, I think it would be wise to avoid using this particular setting for a classroom game.  However, as soon as I get more time, I plan on exploring the other settings to get an idea of how the other settings end.




1 comment:

  1. Your ideas for a lesson plan sound very good. I hope that you are able to find a game to use in the future that you can use for the lesson.

    ReplyDelete